Jump to Navigation

New York City I-751 Petition Attorneys

Serving Clients in New York City and Throughout the State of New York

Immigrants who receive conditional residency status based on marriage in the U.S. must file an I-751 petition during the last 90 days prior to the conclusion of the initial two-year visa period. The I-751 petition is not necessarily an automatic approval. As soon as possible after receiving your conditional residency, it is important to begin the process of gathering the required reports, records and documentation, so there are no holdups when you file the formal petition.

Conditions Regarding a Marriage of Short-Duration

If a person receives a green card based upon a marriage that has existed for less than two years, he or she receives a green card that expires in two years from the date of issue. The couple must then file an I-751 jointly to remove the conditions on residency within 90 days of the card's expiration date. As soon as you obtain conditional permanent residence, you should begin to collect documentation to show that you are living in a bona fide marital relationship.

If you divorce or your spouse dies within the two-year period, you can immediately file a waiver of the joint petion, with evidence of the bona fides of the marriage.

If you live in New York, New Jersey or Connecticut and need help with your I-751 application, have questions about your formal adjustment of status or have had your adjustment of status denied, talk to an immigration and nationality law attorney at Weisberg, Friedman & Klapisch, LLP, in Manhattan. We will answer your questions about the visa process and help you move forward to approval. Upon approval of the I-751, you will receive a 10-year green card and will not be required to apply for a further adjustment after that.

The I-751 Interview

Unfortunately, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will interview a certain percentage of people regarding their I-751 application. If you have been called in for an interview, make sure you talk to an attorney to prepare you for what to expect and to accompany you to the interview. Our lawyers have represented hundreds of clients in I-751 interview cases and have an excellent record of helping people secure the adjustment of status they are seeking.

We are your full-service family visa law firm in New York City. Our services include:

  • K-1 fiancé/fiancée visas and K-3 spouse visas applications
  • Adjustment of status
  • Consular processing
  • Visas for parents, children, siblings and extended family members

Experienced Manhattan Residence Conditions Removal Lawyer

From our offices on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan, our New York immigration and nationality lawyers provide legal advice and representation for clients throughout New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and the United States. We also work with clients worldwide who are seeking application assistance through their local consulate. Call us at 212-696-2666 or contact us by e-mail to arrange an initial consultation with one of our New York City I-751 petition lawyers today.

Contact Us

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Weisberg, Friedman & Klapisch, LLP
17 Battery Place
Suite 1226
New York, NY 10004

Phone : 212-696-2666
Fax: 212-889-5697
Map and Directions